Wednesday, October 12, 2011

It was the last....



Today would have been my mama dearests 71st birthday.

I remember last years celebration oh so clearly. Mum was in Cape Town and Adhil and I arranged to get the day off to take mum for a beautiful drive out in the fair Cape to the Hillcrest farm where we had an enjoyable lunch out in the sun. Mum took many a phone call over lunch...the wishes didnt stop coming in from her McCords work family(I remember tearing silently that morning in Adhils room so mum wouldnt see me...I was moved once again by mums McCords family calling in the early hours of the morning.She really touched the theatre staffs lives over the many years that she worked there) to family and friends.It was such a gorgeous afternoon out on the terrace and I know mum loved the view of the mountains.

That evening we went to HQ for an intimate dinner. Just the three of us. I wanted to cherish every moment and savour her company on this special day as deep down I had this niggly feeling that it possibly could be the last.

Back in Durban Mum was able to extend her birthday celebrations with a gathering of close family and friends at Seabelle restaurant. Mum was hooked on the idea of having their famous prawn curry and enjoying this in the company of her loved ones. Mum even sang at her gathering while Aroon played the guitar. Another most memorable afternoon with us four kids present....I mention this as it does take planning to get us all in one city at the same time and funny enough Adhil flew out immediately thereafter on a work trip abroad.The afternoon was filled with good food, special company, heartfelt speeches and just an air of appreciation for my mum. Mums 70th birthday has left me and many others with many warm and beautiful memories.Yes it was the last but there is no reason that I cant continue celebrating her birthday in her honor. A legend lives on....

1 comment:

  1. That was a special day. Thank you for reminding me of the lovely details...

    ReplyDelete