Saturday, September 15, 2012

How do you manage your Facebook account?

After receiving a facebook friend request from a complete stranger to me who is a friend of one of my friends on Facebook I took the opportunity last night to ask my two acquaintances I was with to get chatting on how they manage their accounts. Its something that intrigues me....

They shared that they add people that they meet but yes not particularly someone that they know too well however do interact with from time to time. The one gent shared that he is thinking of de-friending some people as he realized that they still don't know much about each other despite having been school mates and he felt why have him on there if they still don't interact or have anything in common.

It was also shared that some people love seeing their "Friends" counter going up despite not knowing that person at all really!!!! 500-1000+ friends....???? Should it not be titled as "People" and not "Friends".

Friend: "A person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard."

Facebook defines it's purpose as:"Helps you connect and share with the people in your life."

There are many different ways that people manage their Facebook accounts and as human behavior has always intrigued me so does this....

For the longest time I have used it as a platform to share...share...share. I am big on communicating and found this platform great to be able to share with my "friends"(Yes I have different types of friends on there and some people are ones I share common interests with and who I struck something meaningful and whose shares add some meaning to my life) and "family" my happenings, thoughts and photos. I have for a long time upset people by not accepting their requests and they couldn't understand why not. We all look at this platform differently and I ain't going to add someone who I just met at a tea party and had a once off pleasant conversation with and you didn't strike any chord in me. I am not going to have you get a window into my life and then you might just sit there and "graze" at my wall and then gossip to people around my shares.

The people I have on there know me and get me and therefore understand my shares. No judging or gossiping around it. Some yes are still getting to know me however my gut tells me if it's a good move or not and then after a while when I do my "De-friending" spring clean I get to delete the people who are not serving me well.

We all different beings and we all view Facebook differently....

How do you manage your Facebook account?

No comments:

Post a Comment