Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Things I hear....


You might recall reading my snippets on “Taxi Talk” on a blog I had in my earlier days of my almost 7 years in Cape Town.
I used to quote dialogue heard in the Taxi which was so entertaining. Cape lingo at its best!

Now in the sandpit I have a variety of different bits of words,phrases and lingo used that on some days I can’t keep up with trying to figure out which nationality they stemmed from as people across all the different nationalities use the words/phrases/lingo mimick each other.

Here are two to share with you for today:

*When someone is sharing a story they use “blah,blah,blah….blah,blah,blah….” The word must be repeated 3 times after each other in a sing songy way and said in two sets. It’s a filler for cutting a long story short. I was told by my team mate that it’s a substitute for “etc.etc.etc.”

*When you call out someone’s name for their attention they respond by saying “Tell me”. This means “Go ahead I am listening” or like we would say “Yes xxxxx”.  When someone responds with “Tell me” for some unrelated reason the lyrics of the song “Tell him, tell him that the sun and moon rise in his eyes” plays through my mind which you can imagine makes whatever I say next amusing in my mind as I fight the urge to break out in song.

Stay tuned for the next “The Things I hear” post.



______________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment