Friday, December 7, 2012

What does a brother & sis do with 4 hours on their hands in Dubai?

So as you might be aware...(did you not see my excitement oozing on
Facebook?) my brother Adhil happened to be in transit for a few hours
en-route home from a business trip to the U.S.
Adhil told me about his trip to the U.S 2 weeks ago and initially
shared with me that he was flying via Dubai on his way there and won't
be seeing me. There was a chance he would see me on the way back and
he said he would get back to me.

So yes yes yes the good news then manifested and I eagerly awaited his
arrival-more so as I have been having a bout of sleepless nights again
and I have been having more frequent visits from Mr or Miss Grief. My
energy levels and headspace has been all over the show and somehow
closing this chapter is feeling a little more saddened than I
anticipated. Somehow saying "Goodbye" and things ending suddenly takes
on a deeper level for me. I think as I still have that whole scene of
saying Goodbye to my mum before I moved to Dubai play out in my mind
from time to time and knowing in that silent moment that it was the
last time we were going to see each other and the next time I returned
it was going to be for her funeral. You might think it would have made
this "tough cookie" even tougher but I'm afraid that is not the case.
I seem to have softened up even more in terms of appreciation for
life(I thought I had at one point reached the threshold for
appreciation of life and people however the more you experience there
seem to be more available sets of lens available for you to keep
inserting and filtering the way you see things.)

Anyhoo so back to Adhil...he got in from N.Y all bright eyed and with
his usual cheer. That initial Adhil hug was priceless I tell you. The
chit chat started and there we were in our usual feeling of "Oh life
always somehow brings us 2 together in a different city abroad and
let's make this count."

We stored his bag,got into a cab and headed to watch the Dubai musical
fountain. It was Adhil's first time experiencing this musical fountain
and how fitting that the first tune had an African beat to it. We then
grabbed some Thai food and before a long window shopping walk we sat
down in Magnolia and had some coffee and decadent delights. We chatted
and chatted and boy did I feel such a deep appreciation for this guy
in that exact moment. Adhil has always been a gem of a listener and
always has something fitting to say. (By the way it was so so good to
use some of "our" lingo and share laughs over it. Adhil and I have a
collection of our own quirky words.) So Adhil had a banana cupcake and
I had the white choc cheesecake with macadamia nuts. Oh my word the
macadamia took me back to my childhood memories of road trips to the
Wildcoast Hotel. There used to be a hit that sold a variety of nuts
and we always used to buy macadamia nuts!

Next thing you know we had to say a hurried goodbye as we made our way
to separate cabs...

Going to bed with a smile in my heart and a warmth around the fact
that I will get to spend much more time with him soon as well as my
other two siblings,their families and my favorite people back home. I
am feeling so grateful for this special and unique bond my siblings
and I share.

No comments:

Post a Comment